Sunday, December 26, 2010

Light

A friend of mine posted a challenging question on Facebook inviting us to ponder what identity God wants to birth in us this Christmas. After meditating on that in light of what we've been learning on Bible Quiz Team this year (John 1 - 10 so far), I wrote this poem.

Light

Magi in the east, intrigued
By messages in the sky,
Discerned a sign, a star so bright
That they journeyed west
By day and night
And couldn’t help, try as they might,
But pursue and follow
That radical, surprising light.

The Son of God, enfleshed,
Sent unto his own to die,
Stirred the Jews, provoked a fight.
He played, forgave,
Did what was right,
And caused dissension by restoring sight
To each one who followed
The radical, surprising light.

Now I see that Star and Son,
And hear my own call from on high.
Upon my couch this Christmas night,
I long to grow
By His own might
To “show God’s love aright,”
To be to my own world
A radical, surprising light.

Rebecca Brist
Christmas, 2010

No comments: